Happy Birthday to…!
Miguel Gregorio Antonio Ignacio Hidalgo-Costilla y Gallaga Mandarte Villaseñor(1753)
A Mexican priest and a leader of the Mexican War of Independence. After being assigned to a church in Dolores, Mexico, Miguel Hidalgo was shocked by the poverty he found. He tried to help the poor by showing them how to grow olives and grapes, but in this was illegal due to competition with Spanish imports. In 1810 he gave the famous speech, “The Cry of Dolores”. As he marched across Mexico, he gathered an army of nearly 90,000 poor farmers and Mexican civilians in his rebellion against Spanish rule. But Hidalgo’s army lacked training and was poorly armed and Hidalgo himself was later executed by a firing squad on July 30, 1811.
- cesar234 reblogged this from 18thcenturylove
- belindaelsner reblogged this from ladynicollette
- ladynicollette reblogged this from lovelyvictorianlady
- foggydaysandfoggythoughts reblogged this from 18thcenturylove
- iseeacityburning reblogged this from 18thcenturylove
- ohaieris likes this
- lovelyvictorianlady reblogged this from 18thcenturylove
- johanavontrapp reblogged this from 18thcenturylove
- rickrodz likes this
- 18thcenturylove posted this